April 23, 2009
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -
The eighth-seeded Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (8-16 overall) closed out their season in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West Conference Championships with a 4-0 loss against the top-seed UNLV Lady Rebels (19-6), on Thursday afternoon, in Albquerque.
UNLV won the first point of the day as they took two of the three matches needed in doubles play. Alisa Razina and Anna Maskaljun defeated the Cowgirls team of Rebecca Berger and Jamie Nelson, 8-2, while the team of Nikol Dimitrova and Rumyana Terzierva took their match by default. The UW number one team of Sarah Summerfield and Carly Van Hollen were up 6-4, but did not finish their match.
In singles play, the Lady Rebels only needed three victories in order to win the match. They would do that with victories at the number three, five and six spots. Katie Williams would earn a two set win, 6-4, 6-3, over sophomore Carly Van Hollen. At the number five spot, Carolina Chaix was defeated by the Lady Rebels' Anna Maskaljun, 6-0, 6-0, while Ruymyana Terzierva gained the third point for UNLV with a victory by default.
Wyoming finishes their season 8-16 overall and a 1-7 mark in the Mountain West Conference play.
(No. 1 seed) UNLV 4, (No. 8 seed) Wyoming 0
1. #112 Kristina Nedeltcheva (UNLV) vs. Sarah Summerfield (WYO), 6-0, 6-6, unfinished
2. Nikol Dimitrova (UNLV) vs. Rebecca Berger (WYO), 4-6, 2-2, unfinished
3. Katy Williams (UNLV) def. Carly Van Hollen (WYO), 6-4, 6-3
4. Adrienn Hidvegi (UNLV) vs. Jamie Nelson (WYO), 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
5. Anna Maskaljun (UNLV) def. Carolina Chaix (WYO), 6-0, 6-0
6. Rumyana Terzierva (UNLV) won by default
1. Kristina Nedeltcheva/Katy Williams (UNLV) vs. Sarah Summerfield/Carly Van Hollen (WYO) 4-6 DNF
2. Alisa Razina/Anna Maskaljun (UNLV) def. Rebecca Berger/Jamie Nelson (WYO) 8-2
3. Nikol Dimitrova/Rumyana Terzierva (UNLV) won by default