ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -
The Wyoming tennis team’s rally and bid for its first title ended on Sunday with a 4-2 loss against the second-seeded and 61st ranked New Mexico Lobos in the championship match of the 2015 Mountain West Tournament. The Cowgirls end the season with a 15-6 record overall which is a program best in wins for a season.
“Congratulations to New Mexico on a solid run at the Mountain West tournament title. We wish them the best of luck at the NCAA tournament,” head coach Dean Clower said. “I can’t put into words how proud I am of our team for what they have done this year as student-athletes willing to sacrifice for the program and the University. Thank you to the four seniors who have been here and given us everything. They will forever be family and Cowgirls. Also thanks to the wonderful fans who made the trip down and pulled for us this weekend.”
New Mexico jumped out early in doubles action by winning at the top two spots of the line-up to win the point. The top team of Dominique Dulski and Natasha Smith earned a 6-4 win against seniors Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva. Sharon Coone and Emily Olivier followed that up with a tough 7-5 victory over Jessica Parizher and Magdalena Stencel. The match between Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova was all square at five against Susan Baklini and Rachana Bhat and wasn’t completed.
In singles action, the Lobos quickly extended the lead to 3-1 with victories at the one and five positions. Bhat defeated Gecheva, 6-4, 6-3, followed by Olivier with a straight set win, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6), against Stencel. The Cowgirls got on the board after Jonas beat Hopson, 6-4, 6-3 followed by a three-set win by Parizher 6-3, 0-6, 7-5. It would come down to the final two matches of the day beginning with Natasha Smith and Nastya Tokareva. New Mexico’s Smith came away with the first set 7-5 but Tokareva answered by winning the second 6-4. It went back and forth in the third set until Tokareva took a 6-5 advantage. Smith would break Tokareva forcing a tiebreaker. The score was close with Tokareva earning a 3-2 lead unfortunately Smith scored the last five of seven points to win 7-5 giving the Lobos the title, 4-2. On the final court of the day, Zhelyazkova was in a battle with Bhat, 4-6, 6-4, 3-1.
Tennis Match Results
Wyoming vs New Mexico
Apr 26, 2015 at Albuquerque, NM
(Linda Estes Tennis Complex)
#61 New Mexico 4, Wyoming 2
1. OLIVIER, Emily (UNM) def. Stencel, Magdalena (WYO) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
2. SMITH, Natasha (UNM) def. Tokareva, Nastya (WYO) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Jonas, Dorottya (WYO) def. HOPSON, Meredith (UNM) 6-4, 6-3
4. Parizher, Jessica (WYO) def. DULSKI, Dominique (UNM) 6-3, 0-6, 7-5
5. BHAT, Rachana (UNM) def. Gecheva, Christa (WYO) 6-4, 6-3
6. COONE, Sharon (UNM) vs. Zhelyazkova, Silviya (WYO) 4-6, 6-4, 3-1, unfinished
1. DULSKI, Dominique/SMITH, Natasha (UNM) def. ESPINOSA, Alma/GECHEVA, Christa (WYO) 6-4
2. COONE, Sharon/OLIVIER, Emily (UNM) def. PARIZHER, Jessica/STENCEL, Magdalena (WYO) 7-5
3. BAKLINI, Susan/BHAT, Rachana (UNM) vs. JONAS, Dorottya/ZHELYAZKOVA, Silviya (WYO) 5-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,3,1,4,2)