April 26, 2006
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
For the first time in Mountain West Conference Tournament history, the ninth-seeded Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team earned a 4-3 victory over the eighth-seeded Air Force Academy Falcons in first round action of the 2006 MWC Women's Tennis Championships Wednesday in San Diego.
"I was extremely proud of the way these young ladies came back in singles play after falling in doubles," said head coach Krissy Hall. "Each player put in a lot of effort in to each of their matches and it showed in this win. This was a great win for our program and hopefully it shows the direction we are moving."
The Falcons gained control of the match early by earning the doubles point after winning two out of three matches. At the number three spot, the UW team of Michelle Brown and Patricia Chien defeated Meghan Kiser and Lauren Wilson, 8-4. The team of Christine Abayan and Kat Bushey earned a win over Wyoming's Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski, 8-1. Air Force picked up another doubles victory when Kelly Morgan and Erika Shortridge topped the Cowgirl team of Corina Lazar and Amy Senko, 8-5.
In singles play, the Cowgirls would compose themselves and pick up wins at the number two, four, five, and six spots. Lazar defeated Morgan in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, to give the Cowgirls their first point of the day. At the number two position, Chien earned an exciting, 7-5, 6-4, win over Wilson, as did Jamie Nelson in a straight sets 6-2, 7-5 win over Shortridge. It would come down to the final match of the day between Senko and Kiser at the sixth spot. Senko would take the first set 6-4 then Kiser would answer with a 6-4 win in the second. The two players would fight tooth and nail as Senko pulled out the 7-6 (7-5) third set.
The Cowgirls will now move on to play the top ranked TCU Horned Frogs tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. MT in San Diego, Calif.
(8) AIR FORCE 3, (9) WYOMING 4
1. Christine Abayan/Kat Bushey (AFA) def. Andrea House/Karolina Rowinski (WY), 8-1
2. Kelly Morgan/Erika Shortridge (AFA) def. Corina Lazar/Amy Senko (WY), 8-5
3. Michelle Brown/Patricia Chien (WY) def. Meghan Kiser/Lauren Wilson (AFA), 8-4
1. Bushey (AFA) def. Rowinski (WY), 6-0, 6-1
2. Chien (WY) def. Wilson (AFA), 7-5, 6-4
3. Abayan (AFA) def. House (WY), 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
4. Lazar (WY) def. Morgan (AFA), 6-3, 6-1
5. Jamie Nelson (WY) def. Shortridge (AFA), 6-2, 7-5
6. Senko (WY) def. Kiser (AFA), 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5)