April 27, 2014
FRESNO, Calif. -
In their second match of the day, the Wyoming tennis team had their season ended with a 4-1 loss to the top-seeded Fresno State Bulldogs in the semifinals of the 2014 MW Tennis Championships on Saturday.
"Congratulations to Fresno State for a match well played," said head coach Dean Clower. "I thought we came out a little too passive which you don't get away with against good teams. We played well in singles and I'm proud of their fight and resiliency to not go away. Silviya (Zhelyazkova) and Christa (Gecheva) have been getting better all year long and the results showed that."
Fresno State took the early lead to begin the match as they took two out of three doubles matches. Sophie Watts and Anneka Watts won the first match of the day over Veronica Popovici and Dorottya Jonas, 8-2. The Bulldogs clinched the point as Aishwarya Agrawal and Sofya Malysheva earned an 8-4 victory against Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva. The number three team of Alena Vasileva and Silviya Zhelyazkova were the only team to earn a win as they defeated Tanya Murtagh and Anne Susdorf, 8-5.
In singles action, the Bulldogs won three out of the next four matches to come away with the victory. Sophie Watts defeated Popovici, 6-2, 6-1. Gecheva beat Sofya Malysheva in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3, to give the Cowgirls their first point of the match. At the number six spot, Susdorf earned a 6-4, 6-2 win against Espinosa, while Fresno State wrapped up the match with Agrawal beating Zhelyazkova, 7-6, 6-2.
"I'm so proud of this team in regards to their effort and willingness to learn. They have had obstacles to overcome all year long and found ways to persevere. When our captain went down in mid-March, the team had two options, give up or find a way. They chose the second and did more than find a way. This is a very special team and I'm lucky to have been a part of them"
Wyoming closes out the season 11-8 overall and 4-1 in Mountain West play.
Tennis Match Results
April 26, 2014 at Fresno, Calif.
(1) Fresno State 4, (5) Wyoming 1
1. Sophie Watts (FSU) def. Veronica Popovici (WY), 6-2, 6-1
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FSU) vs. Dorottya Jonas (WY), 1-6, 6-1, 3-0 DNF
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FSU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY), 7-6, 6-2
4. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Sofya Malysheva (FSU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Anneka Watts (FSU) vs. Alena Vasileva (WY), 6-1, 6-5 DNF
6. Anne Susdorf (FSU) def. Alma Espinosa (WY), 6-4, 6-2
1. S. Watts/A. Watts (FSU) def. Popovici/Jonas (WY), 8-2
2. Agrawal/Malysheva (FSU) def. Gecheva/Espinosa (WY), 8-4
3. Vasileva/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Murtagh/Susdorf (FSU), 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,6,3)