April 27, 2006
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
The top seed TCU Horned Frogs knocked off the ninth-seeded Wyoming Cowgirls, 4-0, in the first round of the 2006 Mountain West Conference Women's Tennis Championships Thursday afternoon in San Diego.
"It was a tough day not only because of the weather, but a very tough TCU team," said head coach Krissy Hall. "They will not only go far in this MWC tournament, but the NCAA tournament as well. I felt we ended things on a good note by defeating Air Force, which will give us several things to build upon for next season."
The Frogs gained control of the match early by earning the doubles point with wins at all three spots. In number one doubles, Helena Besovic and Ana Cetnik defeated UW's Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski, 8-3, while Kewa Nichols and Nicole Leimbach earned an 8-3 win over Wyoming's Michelle Brown and Jamie Nelson. The Cowgirl team of Patricia Chien and Corina Lazar did not finish their match against Morgado and Sydorska.
TCU then continued their success in the singles portion of the match, picking up wins at the number one, three and fifth spots. At the number one position, Leimback defeated Rowinski in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, to give the Horned Frogs their second team point. Sydorska picked up a 6-1, 6-1 win over House, while Nichols wrapped up the dual match with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Nelson.
The Cowgirls wrap up their season with an overall record of 9-15 overall and a 0-8 mark in the Mountain West Conference.
(1) TCU 4, (9) WYOMING 0
1. Nicole Leimback (TCU) def. Karolina Rowinski (WY), 6-2, 6-0
2. Helena Besovic (TCU) vs. Patricia Chien (WY), 6-2, 3-1 DNF (Besovic was up in the match)
3. Anna Sydorska (TCU) def. Andrea House (WY), 6-1, 6-1
4. Ana Cetnik (TCU) vs. Corina Lazar (WY), 7-6 (7-5), 0-1, DNF (Cetnik was up a set)
5. Kewa Nichols (TCU) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 6-0, 6-0
6. Gloriann Lopez (TCU) vs. Michelle Brown (WY), 6-0, 4-0 DNF (Lopez was up a set)
1. Besovic/Cetnik (TCU) def. House/Rowinski (WY), 8-3
2. Morgado/Sydorska (TCU) def. Chien/Lazar (WY), 6-6 DNF
3. Nichols/Leimbach (TCU) def. Brown/Nelson (WY), 8-3