April 29, 2011
FORT COLLINS, Colo. -
The Wyoming Tennis team (14-9 overall, 3-5 MWC) closed out their season with a 4-0 loss to the 55th ranked and second seeded Utah Utes (15-9 overall, 7-1 MWC) in the semifinal round of the 2011 MWC Tennis Championships, on Friday morning in Ft. Collins.
The match was very close to begin as it went down to the wire in doubles play. Rebecca Berger and Alexandra Kovacs would get the first win for the Cowgirls with an 8-3 victory over Evgenia Kryuchkova and Lexi Provancha. Utah answered back with Lucia Kovarcikova and Sarah Pham defeating Carly Van Hollen and Veronica Popovici, 8-4. It came down to the number one team of Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel to see who would win the doubles points. Despite a battle down to the end, the team of Anastasia Putilina and Paige Miles went on to win the match, 9-7, to give Utah the first point of the day.
Singles action was delayed approximately 90 minutes due to high winds. When play resumed, the Utes really came out as the aggressor and the Cowgirls couldn't gain any momentum. Alexandra Kovacs lost at the number two position to Evgenia Kryuchkova, 6-0, 6-1, while Paige Miles defeated Rebecca Berger, 7-5, 6-2, to give the Utes a 3-0 advantage. Despite a good effort from the Cowgirls, Utah would earn their fourth point as Simona Synkova fell to Sarah Pham, 7-6, 6-4.
In other action, Veronica Popovici split sets with #89 Anastasia Putilina, 3-6, 6-4, and was down 3-2 in the third. Lucia Kovarcikova was up on Kim van Ginkel, 6-3, 6-5, and Sasa Nemcova and Lexi Provancha, were 2-6, 6-5 in the second set.
Wyoming finishes their season 14-9 overall and 3-5 in Mountain West Conference play. The 14 wins ties for the most wins in school history which was set last season. It also marks the first in the programs history they've had back to back winning seasons.
#55, #2 Utah Utes 4, #6 Wyoming Cowgirls 0
1. #89 Anastasia Putilina (UTAH) vs. Veronica Popovici (WYO) 3-6, 6-4, DNF
2. Evgenia Kryuchkova (UTAH) def. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO) 6-0, 6-1
3. Sarah Pham (UTAH) def. Simona Synkova (WYO) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
4. Lucia Kovarcikova (UTAH) vs. Kim van Ginkel (WYO) 6-3, DNF
5. Paige Miles (UTAH) def. Rebecca Berger (WYO) 7-5, 6-2
6. Lexi Provancha (UTAH) vs. Sasa Nemcova (WYO) 6-2, DNF
1. A. Putilina/P. Miles (Utah) def. S. Synkova/K. van Ginkel (WYO), 9-7
2. R. Berger/A. Kovacs (WYO) def. E. Kryuchkova/L. Provancha (Utah), 8-3
3. L. Kovarcikova/S. Pham (Utah) def. C. Van Hollen/V. Popovici (WYO), 8-4
#6 Wyoming Cowgirls 14-9 (3-5 MW)
#2 Utah Utes 15-9 (7-1 MW); National ranking #55
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,5,3)
Due to high winds, singles action was delayed for approx. 90 minutes