FORT COLLINS, Colo. -
The Wyoming tennis team (11-12 overall, 3-2 MW) had its season ended on Friday night in the quarterfinal round of the 2016 Mountain West Championship with a 4-3 loss against the 72nd ranked UNLV Lady Rebels.
The Cowgirls got off to a quick start in the match by winning two of three doubles matches. The team of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva dropped their match 6-3 against Carol Yang and Aiwen Zhu. The freshmen combination of Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg beat Anna Bogoslavets and Cristina Moroi, 6-4, followed by the duo of Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert over Iren Kotseva and Paola Artiga, 6-4, to give UW a 1-0 advantage.
In singles action, it looked like it was going to be quick work for the Lady Rebels as they won all four opening sets. Zhu gave UNLV its first point with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Jonas. At the number three spot, Bogoslavets needed three sets 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 against Tokareva. It was a real battle for the 96th ranked Yang and Stencel at the first position. Yang opened up the match with a 6-3 first set win which was answered by Stencel with a 6-2 victory in the second set. It went back and forth with Stencel pulling it out 7-6 (7-3) in the tiebreaker to even up the match at two all. Koonik battled in her match with Artiga splitting the first two sets, 7-5, but fell short in the third, 6-4, giving UNLV the upper hand 3-2.
The Cowgirls rallied back with a 6-2, 7-5 victory from Sanne Hoekstra over Moroi. It would all come down to the final match of the day between van Der Ploeg and Koseva. UNLV won the opening set 7-5. Unfortunately van Der Ploeg wouldn’t have enough left in the tank as Koseva won the second set 6-3 to give the Lady Rebels a 4-3 victory.
Wyoming ends the season with an 11-12 overall mark and 3-2 in Mountain West play.
Wyoming vs UNLV
4/29/2016 at Fort Collins, Colorado
(Miramont Lifestyle Fitness Center)
UNLV 4, Wyoming 3
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Carol Yang (UNLV) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Aiwen Zhu (UNLV) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY) 6-2, 6-2
3. Anna Bogoslavets (UNLV) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. Paola Artiga (UNLV) def. Elisa Koonik (WY) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
5. Sanne Hoekstra (WY) def. Cristina Moroi (UNLV) 6-2, 7-5
6. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) 7-5, 6-3
1. Carol Yang/Aiwen Zhu (UNLV) def. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) 6-3
2. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Anna Bogoslavets/Cristina Moroi (UNLV) 6-4
3. Miranda Talbert/Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Iren Kotseva/Paola Artiga (UNLV) 6-4
Wyoming 11-12, 3-2
UNLV 22-1, 5-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,1,4,5,6)