April 30, 2004
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The seventh-seeded Utah Utes knocked off the sixth-seeded Wyoming Cowgirls, 4-2, in the consolation bracket of the 2004 Mountain West Conference Women's Tennis Championships Friday morning in San Diego.
The Utes gained control of the match early by earning the doubles point with wins at the number one and two spots. In number one doubles, Sheri Esrock and Whitney Eber defeated Yuliani Santi and Amy Senko, 8-2, while Cinthia Aucedo and Jessica Watts earned a tough 9-8 (5) win over Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski. The only Cowgirl team to pick up a victory was Jennifer Hancock and Andrea House with an 8-6 win against Rachel Alder and Jennessa Jackson.
Utah then continued their success in the singles portion of the match, picking up wins at the number one, five and six spots. At the number one position, Sheri Esrock earned a hard fought three set win, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Patricia Chien to give the Utes their second team point. Jessica Watts picked up a 6-1-, 6-2 win over Amy Senko, while Jenessa Jackson wrapped up the dual match with a 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Andrea House. Two Cowgirls did win their singles matches. Senior Yuliani Santi earned a 6-3, 6-0 win over Whitney Eber, while freshman Karolina Rowinski defeated Rachel Adler, 7-5, 6-2. Jennifer Hancock was tied a set a piece with Cinthia Saucedo before the match was called.
The Cowgirls wrap up their season with an overall record of 10-12 overall and a 1-6 mark in the Mountain West Conference.
(7) Utah 4, (6) WYOMING 2
1. Sheri Esrock (Utah) def. Patricia Chien (UW), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Yuliani Santi (UW) def. Whitney Eber (Utah), 6-3, 6-0
3. Cinthia Saucedo (Utah) tied with Jennifer Hancock (UW), 7-5, 2-6, 3-1 DNF
4. Karolina Rowinski (UW) def. Rachel Alder (Utah), 7-5, 6-2
5. Jessica Watts (Utah) def. Amy Senko (UW), 6-1, 6-2
6. Jenessa Jackson (Utah) def. Andrea House (UW), 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Sheri Esrock/Whitney Eber (Utah) def. Yuliani Santi/Amy Senko (UW), 8-2
2. Cinthia Saucedo/Jessica Watts (Utah) def. Patricia Chien/Karolina Rowinski (UW), 9-8 (5)
3. Jennifer Hancock/Andrea House (UW) def. Rachel Alder/Jenessa Jackson (Utah), 8-6