April 29, 2010
Las Vegas, Nev. - In the quarterfinal round of the 2010 MWC Tennis Championships, the Wyoming Tennis team (14-8 overall, 5-3 MWC) suffered another tough 4-3 loss against the TCU Frogs (8-16 overall, 4-4 MWC), on Thursday night in Las Vegas.
Wyoming started off things on a high note as they would win the first two double matches to take the first point of the day. Rebecca Berger and Alexandra Kovacs defeated Nina Munch-Soegaard and Idunn Hertzberg, 8-2 followed by Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel over the 47th ranked Kayla Duncan and Katariina Tuohimaa, 8-5. The team of Paloma Navarro and Sarah Summerfield were up on Gaby Mastromarino and Maria Babanova, 7-4.
It was a battle in singles play and it would come down to the final match to see who would come away with the victory. Wyoming's van Ginkel won the first match of the day with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Shalini Sahoo. TCU earned their first point of the day as Hertzberg defeated Berger, 6-2, 6-2. Synkova came right back and defeated the 113th ranked Duncan in straight sets, 7-6, 7-5. The next two matches went right down to the end. Nina Munch-Soegaard, who is 56th in the ITA rankings, won the first set over Summerfield, 6-3, but she came back to win the second 6-4 to force a third set. Unfortunately, Summerfield came up short in the third to fall in the match, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.
At the number two position, Alexandra Kovacs lost in the opening set, 6-0, against Tuohimaa, but came back with a 6-2 win the second. She also lost a close one in the third set, 7-5, to fall in three sets. It came down to the match between redshirt freshman Sasa Nemcova and Gaby Mastromarino. Nemcova battled in the first set to win, 7-6, but Mastromarino fought back and won a tough second set, 7-5 to force a third set. Despite taking an early 2-1 lead to begin the third set, Nemcova would lose the final five of seven games to fall 6-4 in the set and, 6-7, 7-5, 6-4, in the match.
1. #56 Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) def. Sarah Summerfield (WY), 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
2. Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (WY), 6-0, 2-6, 7-5
3. Simona Synkova (WY) def. #113 Kayla Duncan (TCU), 7-6, 7-5
4. Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) def. Rebecca Berger (WY), 6-2, 6-2
5. Kim van Ginkel (WY) def. Shalini Sahoo (TCU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) Sasa Nemcova (WY), 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 3, 1, 2, 6
1. Synkova/van Ginkel (WY) def. #47 Duncan/Tuohimaa (TCU), 8-5
2. Berger/Kovacs (WY) def. Munch-Soegaard/Hertzberg (TCU), 8-2
3. Summerfield/Navarro (WY) up Mastromarino/Babanova (TCU), 7-4 DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1