LINCOLN, Neb. (Feb. 4, 2017) – The Cowgirl tennis team (3-2 overall) dropped a 6-1 contest against the Nebraska Cornhuskers (4-0 overall) on Saturday morning.
Nebraska took control early by winning two of the three doubles matches. The pair of Dorottya Jonas and Ana Tkachenko dropped their match, 6-0, against Vasanti Shine and Clair Refies. At the number three spot, the Cornhuskers clinched the point with Katerina Matysova and Hayley Haakenstad defeating Imogen Clews and Milka Genkova, 6-1. Elisa Koonik and Tessa Van Der Ploeg were all tied up 4-4 against Mary Hanna and Lisa Andersson but did not finish.
The Cornhuskers continued to play strong on the singles side by winning five of six matches. Hanna defeated Clews in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2. Wyoming won its only match at the number three spot as van Der Ploeg defeated Jeannie Lozowski, 6-1, 6-2. Jonas dropped her match against Shinde, 6-3, 6-2, while Nebraska clinched the match with a three set win, 6-1, 5-7, 6-3, by Matysova over Tkachenko.
The Cowgirls will wrap up the weekend tomorrow against the North Dakota Fighting Hawks. The match is set for 9 a.m. MT at the Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center in Lincoln.
Wyoming vs Nebraska
Feb 04, 2017 at Lincoln, Neb.
(Dillon Tennis Center)
Nebraska 6, Wyoming 1
1. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY) 6-3, 6-2
2. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Milka Genkova (WY) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
3. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) 6-1, 6-2
4. Katerina Matysova (NEB) def. Ana Tkachenko (WY) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
5. Lisa Andersson (NEB) def. Elisa Koonik (WY) 7-6, 7-5
6. Mary Hanna (NEB) def. Imogen Clews (WY) 6-0, 6-2
1. Mary Hanna/Lisa Andersson (NEB) vs. Elisa Koonik/Tessa Van Der Ploeg (WY) 4-4, unfinished
2. Vasanti Shinde/Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Dorottya Jonas/Ana Tkachenko (WY) 6-0
3. Katerina Matysova/Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Imogen Clews/Milka Genkova (WY) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,3,1,4,2,5)