Ranked Lady Rebels Beat Cowgirls, 6-1
April 11, 2008
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (10-10 overall, 1-5 in the MWC) opened up the weekend with a 6-1 loss against the 51st ranked UNLV Lady Rebels.
UNLV swept the doubles matches in order to win the team point. The Wyoming team of Rebecca Berger and Corina Lazar fell to the 48th ranked team of Elena Gantcheva and Kristina Nedeltcheva, 8-4, as did UW's Michelle Brown and Carly Van Hollen to Marin and Razina, 8-4. The Lady Rebels earned the team point with Anna Maskaljun and Katy Williams defeating Cowgirls Brittany DeFelice and Jamie Nelson, 8-2.
The Lady Rebels then took five of six singles matches to come away with the victory. They would win matches at one, two, three, four and five. At the number six position, DeFelice was the only Cowgirl to come away with a win. She did it in three sets 4-6, 6-1, 10-8, against Adrienn Hiduegi. Cowgirl sophomore Sarah Summerfield had a tough three point loss, 4-6, 6-0, 10-8, against Anna Maskaljun at the fourth position. Lazar was defeated by the 35th ranked Gantcheva, 6-1, 6-3, while Berger lost 7-5, 6-2 to Nedeltcheva. Van Hollen lost to Nikol Dimitrova, 6-4, 6-3, while Brown battled to a two set loss, 6-1, 6-0, against Williams.
Wyoming will close out the weekend tomorrow against the San Diego State Aztecs. The match is set to being at 11:00 a.m. MT.
#51 UNLV 6, WYOMING 1
1. #35 Elena Gantcheva (UNLV) def. Corina Lazar (UW), 6-1, 6-3
2. Kristina Nedeltcheva (UNLV) def. Rebecca Berger (UW), 7-5, 6-2
3. Nikol Dimitrova (UNLV) def. Carly Van Hollen (UW), 6-4, 6-3
4. Anna Maskaljun (UNLV) def. Sarah Summerfield (UW), 4-6, 6-0, 10-8
5. Katy Williams (UNLV) def. Michelle Brown (UW), 6-1, 6-0
6. Brittany DeFelice (UW) def. Adrienn Hiduegi (UNLV), 4-6, 6-1, 10-8